Sunday, August 14, 2011

Caricature Commission: the Akins

An old friend of mine commissioned me to draw caricatures of his family and I was more than happy to do it. These were done with marker and airbrushing for color. The most interesting thing about drawing people you know, as opposed to guest at an amusement park, is that you have a heightened sense as to whether or not you've gotten a likeness. It's not about getting the features right as much as it is getting the relationship of the features to capture an "attitude" of that particular person. I think this is what will keep me interested in the art of caricature for a very long time.

Here is the lovely Akins family. I actually didn't use this photo as a reference, but I put it up here so that you (the reader) can get an idea of what they look like.

No comments:

Post a Comment